Ok, if this starts happening to you, then check the AAM entry and your IIS bindings. In my case, we had earlier changed a name resolution in DNS, I then proceeded to update AAM to include this new name. Tested it by connecting to the site, opening document etc etc and everything worked as intended.
Sadly, we started to get the mentioned error. After checking DNS and AAM again, it then dawn on me that I had not included this new name entry in my IIS Site bindings. Once I set this, the error disappeared with no IISReset required.
Well chances are, you’re probably looking at the properties of an individual web site. The Service tab is a "Server Wide" setting, so right-click on the Web Sites folder and go to properties from there.
Have you ever had this happen to you? One day, you open up your Central Administration page and SharePoint portal and nothing appears. Then you open up your IIS Manager and get the shock of your life when you realise that nothing appears in IIS as well. No Application Pools, no Web Sites, no Web Server Extensions, nothing! Well, if this does happen to you then follow the steps below:
- Click on Start –> Administrative Tools, then select Event Viewer.
- Select System from the viewer (left-pane), and go through the logs on the right-pane.
- You will notice there would be a few IIS Config error logs. Clicking on it gives you the Event ID, which would be 4275. And also give you a description of the problem, which would be ‘Error parsing XML file. Reason: Invalid at the top level of the document’.
- Now, in order to fix this navigate to Local Folder\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv. In this folder you will see two xml files called MBSchema.xml and MetaBase.xml. Copy these files and place them in another location.
- Then navigate to the History folder Local Folder\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\History. And you will see a couple of MBSchema_xxxxxx_xxxxxx.xml and Metabase_xxxxxxx_xxxxxxx.xml files. Sort them by date modified, and copy the newest files.
- Paste them into the Local Folder\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv directory. And rename them to MBSchema.xml and Metabase.xml.
- Click on Start –> Administrative Tools, then select Services.
- Scroll down till you find IIS Admin Service. Start the service again, or Restart it if it’s currently running.
Open up IIS Manager again, and voila! You’ll find things back to normal again. Hope you guys find this useful, special thanks to Rakki Muthukumar for his tip.