I spent a whole day attempting to resolve why this was happening. Every time I opened my SharePoint site, I’ll get a 503 error and when I check the IIS Console, I discover that the corresponding application pool has stopped. I tried numerous different things, and I also tried the suggestion from this forum discussion.
Before we get into the suggestion described in the forum, let me quickly list out the steps that I eventually performed to get this working and things back to normal again.
- Uninstalled SharePoint.
- Restart Server.
- Remove Web Server Role (uninstall IIS).
- Restart Server.
- Add Web Server Role (install IIS).
- Install SharePoint.
- Restart Server.
- Run SharePoint Configuration Wizard.
- Remove Default Application Pool and Web Site.
Now, let’s get into the suggestion as described in the forum discussion mentioned.
The idea is to give your Application Pool Identity account “Log on as a batch job” rights via-your Local Security Policy console. This can be found under Local Policies –> User Rights Assignment.
If you discover that the policy has a slightly different icon to it, then be assured that it is being overwritten somewhere else. Opening up its properties will reveal that the options are all greyed out (disabled).
As explained the policy is being overwritten by the Default Domain Policy, which can be accessed on your Domain Controller, from the Group Policy Management Console. Click and select the Default Domain Policy for editing. On the new console navigate through Windows Settings –> Security Settings –> Local Policies –> User Rights Assignment. On the right panel you’ll find the “Log on as a batch job” policy, open its properties then add the application pool account to it. All done.
I am a bit doubtful that this process would actually work in all environments. But I would definitely give it a try before opting for a rebuild of your SharePoint environment. Good luck, and try not to get frustrated (easier said then done!).
Have you ever had this happen to you? One day, you open up your Central Administration page and SharePoint portal and nothing appears. Then you open up your IIS Manager and get the shock of your life when you realise that nothing appears in IIS as well. No Application Pools, no Web Sites, no Web Server Extensions, nothing! Well, if this does happen to you then follow the steps below:
- Click on Start –> Administrative Tools, then select Event Viewer.
- Select System from the viewer (left-pane), and go through the logs on the right-pane.
- You will notice there would be a few IIS Config error logs. Clicking on it gives you the Event ID, which would be 4275. And also give you a description of the problem, which would be ‘Error parsing XML file. Reason: Invalid at the top level of the document’.
- Now, in order to fix this navigate to Local Folder\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv. In this folder you will see two xml files called MBSchema.xml and MetaBase.xml. Copy these files and place them in another location.
- Then navigate to the History folder Local Folder\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\History. And you will see a couple of MBSchema_xxxxxx_xxxxxx.xml and Metabase_xxxxxxx_xxxxxxx.xml files. Sort them by date modified, and copy the newest files.
- Paste them into the Local Folder\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv directory. And rename them to MBSchema.xml and Metabase.xml.
- Click on Start –> Administrative Tools, then select Services.
- Scroll down till you find IIS Admin Service. Start the service again, or Restart it if it’s currently running.
Open up IIS Manager again, and voila! You’ll find things back to normal again. Hope you guys find this useful, special thanks to Rakki Muthukumar for his tip.
I keep getting this error every time I try getting into Search Settings on Shared Service Provider (SSP). All other services are fine and work as normal. What really annoys me is that Googling this up does not prove to be quite successful either. You would get different suggestions (many which are helpful), but bear in mind that your HRESULT error could be very different from theirs.
Best way to go about this is to firstly download the Err.exe tool from here. The tool will help translate the hexadecimal number you got into meaningful human language. My hexadecimal number literally meant Access is denied! After checking further, I found out that someone has change my Content Crawl service account. Changed it back again, and it worked.